Wednesday, 27 August 2014

A Finished Quilt of Valour

I finished a Quilt of Valour this week. I was really pushing to get this done before my new baby arrives. (Only two weeks to go until my c-section!) I am so happy that this is finished and ready to go out in the mail to it's soldier.

Here is the Quilt of Valour. I used the Oh Canada line by Northcott fabrics. Northcott printed this line in support of Quilts of Valour Canada. This is my third Quilt of Valour but the first one using this line. There are four swoon blocks around a centre panel of fabric.

Here is the centre panel. I added the black borders to fit it in with the Swoon blocks. (Swoon blocks are from the Swoon pattern by Camille Roskelley of Thimbleblossoms.)

It's hard to see but I quilted the black borders with feathers. The white borders between the black and the Swoon blocks are loop-de-loop quilting and the rest of the quilt is stipple quilting.

The outer two inch white borders are quilted with figure 8s.

The soldier that I have sewn this quilt for went through one particularly bad week on his tour in Afghanistan and in that week one of his friends died. I put this poppy block into the quilt in honour of that friend.

I put a striped binding on the quilt because I love striped bindings.

The quilt is backed with a flannel moose and maple leaf print from the Oh Canada line. So soft and cozy!

I rarely post pictures of myself but here I am on Monday when my order from Patchwork Threads came in. I am eight months pregnant here. I ordered a onesie for my little Future Quilter too. :) I also ordered the pink "Swoon Block" t-shirt. Plus, I won Challenge 1 in the Sewvivor Sew Along (by random draw) so I will have the Hexagon shirt coming to me too! I am decked out with quilting t-shirts now.

Sunday, 10 August 2014

Fun Finished Projects for Instagram Quilt Alongs and Challenges

Hi All. I have been very busy sewing! I had a week off to do some major cleaning and purging in my house and now I am back at it with sewing and quilting. I have a few fun finishes that I would like to show you.

First up is a mini quilt that I sewed for "The Strawberry Swap" on Instagram. I mailed it out on Thursday so my partner doesn't have it yet but I'm almost positive she is not following my blog. :) There was a pillow similar to this on Pinterest but it was paper pieced. I did mine with applique and enjoying trying out the blanket stitch on my machine for the first time. I changed out the thread to match each piece of fabric so it took a few sewing sessions to get the blanket stitching finished.


I cross stitched three little strawberries onto a plain tea towel as a little add-on to my swap package.


This is what I sent out to my partner. I made the little strawberry pin cushions for her too. The pattern for them is in the Martha Stewart sewing encyclopedia and is also free on the Martha Stewart website.


Next up are three pillows I made for the "Sewvivor" challenge #1. I didn't make it into the top 16 contestants but I am sewing along. The hashtag on Instagram for the sew along is #sewvivorsewalong and the first challenge is "Nautical." I designed these decorative whale pillows for my son's bed.
 

 
 
I also made an anchor cushion for his little chair that he has in his room.


I originally meant for it to be primary colours on a white background but my prints are mostly low volume and it would have been washed out so I put it on a red maple leaf background.

Here is the back of the pillow. This was the first time I used binding on pillows and I love it! It's like a mini flange on the edges without all the fussing. I think all my pillows will have binding from now on.

So those are my projects for #Sewvivor and #TheStrawberrySwap on Instagram. Now I'm onto working on the #VeryCherrySwap and also the first gift for the #CanuckBdayClub. Busy! Come find me on Instagram if you're on there. :) There's a button up in the mason jars on the right side of the screen.

Chicopee Hashtag Quilt Finish

I have a finished quilt to show you today! Yay! I actually finished it yesterday but my husband was on duty and not around the house to hold it up for me to photograph. Try to ingnore his feet in the following photos. ;) I had to angle the quilt so it was not in direct sunlight and that made cropping out feet impossible.

 This is the "Hashtag" quilt. The pattern is by Camille Roskelley of Thimbleblossoms and I received it in the workshop package that came with her "Pre-Cut Piecing Made Simple" class on Craftsy
 All the patterned fabrics used are from the "Chicopee" line by Denyse Schmidt for Free Spirit Fabrics. I won a roll up of 30 x 2 1/2 inch strips from from the Canadian Quilt Talk podcast over a year ago and this pattern calls for 30 strips! So it was a perfect fit.
 I ordered the border, binding and backing fabrics last month from Mad About Patchwork. The backing is the "Voltage" print in black.
 The binding is double folded and machine sewn to the front, then hand sewn to the back with a double thread of Aurifil black 50 wt. thread. The batting is 80% cotton and 20% polyester. Normally I prefer 100% cotton batting but this was the more cost effective choice as I was buying quite a bit for several projects.
 Here is a full photo of the back of the quilt. I am donating this quilt to my local Military Family Resource Centre for them to raffle in a Fundraising Quilt Raffle.
I stipple quilted all of the background of the top with white thread. I also stipple quilted the border with black thread. All threads used were Aurifil 50 wt. 100% cotton thread. I left the hastags unquilted. I thought I might hand quilt inside each centre square but I have many quilting deadlines this summer and at come point you just have to call it done! :)