First Finish of 2014

I have a finish to show today! Yay! It seems like it's been a long time since I had a finish to show on my blog. I did have that wall hanging in December I guess but that was a small project. :) Anyway, here it is.
 This is not entirely a 2014 finish because it was started in 2013. I wrote about it in this post back in July. It's the "Swell" quilt from Camille Roskelley's "Simply Retro" book and I made it as part of a quilt along.
I was undecided about borders and then we had to get all packed up and move 200 km down the road to a new town with my husband's work transfer so this little quilt has been stuck in a drawer ever since I got my sewing studio unpacked.
I pulled it out yesterday, made a quick decision on borders and sewed them on. Then today I tried quilting on the Juki for the first time and here we are! It's quilted and bound. (I machine bound it.)
Initially, in July, I was going to be selfish and keep it for myself because I love the fabrics so much. The fabrics are "Ruby" by Bonnie and Camille for Moda with a "Bliss" fabric by Bonnie and Camille for the border and rounding out a bit of a fabric shortage in the main quilt top. Anyway, I have now decided to give this quilt away. More on that later in this post. :)
The backing fabric is a grey polka dot and I have no idea who designed or produced it as there is no information on the selvage. I got it for $1.00 a metre at a church fundraising sale to benefit Grandmothers in Africa last spring. It was wide enough that I didn't have to piece it. I also do not know information on the biding fabric which is a tone on tone calico. I've had the white background fabric and the red binding fabric in my stash for about 13 years! I bought them when "Crafts Canada" was closing out and originally meant to sew a red and white quilt with them.
Here is the quilt laid out on the dining room table.
 
I have decided to give this quilt to my friend because I know she really wants a quilt. She also really needs a quilt in my opinion and I hope she will get to have a nap under it soon. She is a Mom to twin girls who are about to turn six years old. Both twins are adorable. One of the twins is a special needs child who is cute as a button. Mom and Dad have to overcome many challenges and miss out on a lot of sleep. This Mom also has Rheumatoid Arthritis on top of everything so she really does have it harder than most of us. I never hear her complain or say a bad word about anyone. And she is patient with me when I complain though she must want to roll her eyes at me. ;) If she's reading this she's probably guessed it's going to her but I hope this is the day she skipped reading my blog. :) Can't wait to see what she thinks!