Thursday, 28 June 2012

Mom's Birthday Gifts

My Mom and I share a birthday and our birthday for this year just passed recently. I gave her a couple of quilted gifts and I have pictures of them to share here on my blog.
This is a quilt that I made using a pattern by Thimble Blossoms called "Double Dip." I bought it at my local quilt shop but you can purchase the pattern here at the designer's shop. This pattern uses one layer cake to make two quilts. I blogged about the other quilt here. It's a great pattern and the quilts sew up quite quickly.

This is a close-up of the border and some of the fabrics. The fabric collection is called "Maison de Garance" by French General for Moda.

I made this little project the night before our birthday and I had it done in about three hours. This is made using a candy bar of the "Buttercup" fabric collection by Fig Tree & Co. for Moda. I bought a few of these little candy bar treats on a recent trip to Jasper, Alberta (in the rocky mountains here in Canada). These pre-cuts make projects much quicker. They are very handy for last minute gifts. I meant for this project to be a table topper but by the shape of it it might be better as a filing cabinet topper at my Mom's office. If I had more time and candy bars they could even become a set of placemats. 

Until next time, "keep calm and quilt on." :)

2 comments:

  1. I really appreciate the background description of the quilts and the fabrics. You quilters are so ingenious - so inventive. Cup Cakes, Candy Bars, Layer Cakes - such delicious code behind the creation of such luscious quilts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading my blog. Moda came up with all the fun and yummy food names for the fabric pre-cuts. It does make it even more fun doesn't it?

      Delete

Thank you for commenting. It means a lot that you took the time. :) I have turned off word verification to try to make commenting easier for you. This means I now must limit who can comment to registered users.