I used the "Strip-Smart Quilts" book by Kathy Brown and specialty ruler on this one.
Monday, 22 August 2011
Last week I finally sewed a quilt for my best friend. We've been friends since 1993 so it was about time. In my defence... I've been a little busy with babies and toddlers the past few years. Anyway, here it is! It used one jelly roll and I love how it turned out.
Wednesday, 17 August 2011
I got these blocks done last night. Just in time for Wednesday. :) It's good to have these little deadlines to keep us all on track. I have been sewing them in order but last night I skipped ahead to #29 because I needed to do an easy one.
For some reason I was having trouble with this one. I had to rip out and re-do six seams. I was tempted to only do the one block but then I found an easy one to do next.
Ahhh. No seam ripper used here. I will keep on "plowing" next week so I can "reap" the rewards of finished block.
Tuesday, 16 August 2011
I just started knitting in January and received many nice balls of yarn for my birthday from my parents who also knit. I wasn't sure what to do with them so I went on a website called Ravelry www.ravelry.com and found a free pattern called Summerlin. If those of you reading this also knit the designer has a free PDF of the pattern at www.KathrynIvy.com Anyway, this is only the third knitting project I have completed but I am quite proud of it. The photos below are of my daughter (with crazy hair) modeling her new dress.
I knitted the bodice with 100% cotton yarn and the skirt is sewn with quilting cotton. The fabric is "Gypsy Rose" by Fig Tree Quilts for Moda.
This is the back. I added a pottery button that I bought from a potter in New Brunswick when we lived there for a few years. So I am feeling braver in the knitting department and might try something even more challenging next. :)
Sunday, 14 August 2011
I have been sewing like crazy this weekend because I just opened an Etsy shop on Thursday. So I wanted to have some things in it! Many people have told me I should sell my quilts, cards and other crafts so I am going to have a crack at it.
This is the first quilt I made for my shop. All pink! It is a lap quilt but can also cover a twin bed with a three inch drop off the mattress.
I made this little baby quilt today out of 1930's reproduction fabric. It's a great little take-along quilt for day trips out with baby. And it was quick to make! :)
Tuesday, 9 August 2011
I finished my blocks on Sunday for this week! I was on the ball I guess. :)
Block 21: Contrary wife. This one was blessedly easy! LOL. I've had this watermellon fabric for years without knowing what to do with it. Finally a bit of it has been sewn into something. :)
Block 22: Corn and Beans... except that my green fabric has peas on it. This block is 5 1/2 x 5 1/2 inches (mine are coming out that size finished instead of 6 inches... I think it was my printer when I printed the templates). IT HAS 40 PIECES! And I can say that it was painful but I'm glad I ripped the bandaid off and got it over with. I am proud of the finished block. Happy Farmer's Wife-ing everyone!
Sunday, 7 August 2011
Here are some more Farmer's Wife blocks as I only started this blog in week 10. It seems to take a long time to upload photos on here so I'm not sure how many I'll get up before I need to take my son to a birthday party but here goes:
Week 8: Block 16: Calico Puzzle. (I even found some Calico in my stash!)
Week 8: Block 15: Buzzard's Roost
So I guess the answer to how many photos can I upload right now is 2. I'll try to get some more up later on. Happy sewing!
Thursday, 4 August 2011
Hi! Welcome to my blog! It's week 10 of the Farmer's Wife quilt-a-long and I finally had the courage to start my own blog. I am new to the blog world so I have a lot to learn but am excited by the prospect. So I'll start with this week's Farmer'sWife blocks and work my way back to the beginning.
Churn Dash: After some of the difficult blocks this one was a welcome relief.
Block 19: Checkerboard
Block 18: Century of Progress. I don't know about the other quilters but I found this one quite tricky. One of my points isn't perfect in the centre but I just don't have it in me to re-do it. I will embrace imperfection.
Block 17: Cats & Mice. This block took some time to cut out but I think it turned out quite well and I am happy with it. So these were the blocks I sewed this week. Week 9 and week 10. I am relieved to be caught up again. I will leave it at that for now as I don't want to overwhelm those who read this. Happy quilting to my fellow quilters